Saturday, April 19, 2014

Class Discussions

I am writing in response to Thursday’s class discussion. Although the class discussion was focused on the piece “The disparity between intellect and character.” However, the discussion quickly turned to peoples’ opinions on Baylor’s development of the whole person while in college. This was actually one of the more interesting classes I have had in college and I was a little bit disappointed when we transitioned over to Jeopardy. People seemed really open to talking about their perspectives, some of which were very personal and some of which were just about Baylor in general. As the student regent, I am always quick to defend the decisions that Baylor makes as I can see all of the hard work that goes into them. So as we began the discussion I was a little caught off guard to hear some of the negative thoughts. However, I actually ended up really appreciating the discussion. I think that it is helpful for me to hear a wide variety of student opinions as I try and impact the board and administration to serve students more effectively. I also think that the quality of that discussion was driven by the interactive format of the class. Very few classes that I have been a part of have grown comfortable enough with each other to have that quality of discussion. It also helps that Dr. Schultz calls on people while we are in class. That everyone is “forced” to participate makes the environment better for the whole class.

2 comments:

  1. I was torn about continuing on with discussion. Glad you found it helpful

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to hear how comfortable the class is for discussion.

    ReplyDelete